Our EDPR NA story
EDPR NA is a leader in the North America renewable energy sector.
Headquartered in Houston, Texas, EDP Renewables North America (EDPR NA) is a division of EDP Renewables. EDP Renewables’ story in the U.S. began in 2007 when we embraced the growing demand for clean energy and acquired Horizon Wind Energy LLC. Since then, EDP Renewables has more than doubled our clean energy generation, becoming one of the top five renewable energy producers in the U.S. in operating clean energy capacity. In North America, we have developed more than 8,800 megawatts (MW) and operate more than 8,400 MW of renewable energy projects that generate clean power, enrich rural communities, and accelerate growth toward a sustainable future.
- 1998 – Zilkha Renewable Energy is founded.
- 2001 – Madison Wind Farm is commissioned, becoming the company’s first operational clean energy project and the first utility-scale wind project in New York.
- 2005 – Zilkha Renewable Energy is purchased by Goldman Sachs and renamed Horizon Wind Energy.
- 2007 – Twin Groves Wind Farm begins operations as the largest wind farm in Illinois.
- 2007 – Horizon Wind Energy is purchased by EDP Renewables.
- 2009 – The first phase of Meadow Lake Wind Farm is brought online in Indiana.
- 2009 – Horizon Wind Energy is renamed EDP Renewables North America. We also became one of the first wind companies to develop a corporate environmental policy.
- 2015 – We commissioned our first solar park – Lone Valley – in San Bernardino County, California.
- 2019 – The sixth phase of Meadow Lake Wind Farm is brought online, becoming EDPR NA’s largest wind farm in the continent and among the largest wind farms in the world.
- 2021 – EDPR NA acquires a majority interest in C2 Omega to create EDPR NA Distributed Generation with a solar generation portfolio.
EDPR NA is a wholly owned subsidiary of EDP Renewables (Euronext: EDPR), EDPR is a division of EDP (Euronext: EDP). EDP is a leader in the energy transition with a focus on decarbonization. EDP’s vision, “Leading the energy transition to create superior value”, highlights both EDP’s commitment with a greener and more sustainable future and with the creation of superior value for all.
EDPR NA is leading the charge toward a sustainable future.
Our success as a leading clean energy producer spanning the continent is largely due to our company's greatest asset: its people. EDPR NA is made up of diverse individuals who are passionate about providing a better tomorrow for current and future generations.
Leading with a community-driven approach is what our team takes pride in. Our team lives and works in our project communities. From early development to construction and throughout a project's operational life, we are committed to being a good neighbor.